Just Get Out and Do It!


I was listening to the Chase Jarvis and Zack Arias talk once again. If you haven't heard it, it's available here. Originally done as a live interview, it has been posted so people who missed it have a chance to catch up. Both very successful photographers, both very open and willing to help teach what they do. Chase Jarvis has started a internet live class concept, where if you watch the program while it's being made, it's free. If you miss it for some reason, you can go back and purchase the show later. Zack was in town to do a two and a half day class for this service on lighting and business.

Around the 1:05:00 mark, they were answering questions that people had sent in. A question came in about projects and how to go from concept to execution. Both of them basically said, you need to just go out and do it. A few comments I wrote down that struck me.

Actions Speak - Chase
If you have an idea do it. Put it on the books and go do it - Zack
All the ideas inside your head is just that - Chase
No ones impressed with the ideas inside your head, The only thing anyone's impressed with is what you put out in the world. - Zack

These particularly struck me. I know a lot of very talented people who when I mention that I had entered a local show, or tried this or that, come back with, "I should have done that" or "I was going to do it and I forgot".

I've learned long ago, that the only person holding me back is me. I forget things once in a while, but I tend to make a lot of notes now. I know I'm somewhat disorganized, but I've learned how to do organization when I need to. I still don't really have the get up and go to take my photography to the next level this year, but I believe I'm getting better. I wish the good photographers I know would learn the same lesson.

After all, the only one that can hold you back is you.

Comments

Popular Posts