At The Beach





The local camera clubs had a combined workshop Sunday. A modeling session at Hoffmaster State Park, just south of Muskegon. We started out about 4 pm with a picnic and then headed down to the beach. I didn't get an exact count, but there were more than 20 photographers and 6 or more models. Some of the models were friends and family of the photographers, a couple of the others were semi-professionals that came along. While all the models that came where female, we ran into a group of guy wave boarders who were more than willing to let us photograph them. They started doing some runs down the beach, but they were quickly co-opted into posing along with the others.

It was a hot, muggy day, but once we got down to the beach, it was great. The beach was crowded, but we were able to find room. The crowd also started to thin out later in the evening, but I was surprised how many people stayed until dark. The water was warm for Lake Michigan, up into the 70's. Which was good for the models, because they ended up in the water a lot. It was good for me also, since I was in the water a lot, especially when I was working with the guys.

I dragged my new light and battery down to the beach once it started getting later in the evening. This was the first time I had used it outside the house. Overall I was happy with it, but I still have more to learn on lighting people, especially with just one light.

One of the models brought her wedding dress. I got a couple good photos of her with it on standing on the beach. She then went in the water with it. Unfortunately it was dark by then, and I really didn't get any photos I liked after that. She's going to trash the dress later in the year, and I'm going to try to photograph that also.

A good way to spend an afternoon, with a lot of great people and pretty scenery.

Comments

Popular Posts