Wesley Strikes Again

For some reason science fiction shows on TV always seemed to have a cute kid. It started with Lost in Space, they were in the original Battlestar Galactica, Seaquest DSV and probably others. I guess they figure that science fiction is only for kids and they need one in the show. Thankfully they've seemed to stop this annoying practice for new shows.

For me, it peaked with Wesley Crusher in Star Trek - The Next Generation. It never made sense to me that a teenager would be appointed to effectively drive a huge spaceship with hundreds of people on board. I mean, what happened to the folks who were supposed to do it? Plus I never really cared about the character.

Wil Wheaton, who played the Wesley part was on Criminal Minds last night. My wife watches the show regularly and had it on while I was working on something. Wil did a very credible job, but I just couldn't get past the Wesley character. I could easily see how Wesley could turn into the character on this show. Since he was the evil, bad guy, there was a chase scene near the end of the show and all I could think was that they should just stop chasing him and just shoot him. Preferably in the head. But no, he got his just desserts a few minutes later in a somewhat trite ending.

Wil Wheatons Blog

Comments

Popular Posts