A January Sunday


It's been a somewhat mild January so far compared to the last few years. Sunday was no exception, the temperature was in the lower 30's, and snowfall free. While the clouds were the typical solid grey, there was mist/fog hanging in the air. Getting my usual case of cabin fever, I decided in the early afternoon to head out with the cameras.

I knew I wanted to end up on the lakeshore to check out the ice build up, but other than that I just followed my whims. I started out at the Upper Macatawa Recreational area near Holland. I had stopped by before, but never really wandered the trails. A few people were about, but pretty much I had the area to myself. Being away from the highway, no people and a calm day, I continue to be amazed at how quiet it is, with just the crunch of footprints on the snow. I continued my black and white love, and just took the Mamiya 645 away from the car. Not wanting to carry a whole lot, I left the extra lenses there also, and just took the 80 mm macro lens that I had attached to the camera. I ended up regretting that later. While I like the macro, I saw a few photo opportunities where a longer lens would have helped.

A few other stops were made, with no results. Though I noted a few areas where I want to return to later. I ended up on Oval Beach in Saugatuck. A good sized crowd was using the area. I wandered for a bit, but really didn't see much I wanted to photograph. While I was in the area, I found Felt Mansion. I had heard about it, so I wanted to see what was involved. An old mansion that is being restored, it has had several uses, including as a State Police post since being built by the original owners. Some nice architecture and what looks like what could be some good landscaping. It is right around the corner from the Saugatuck Dunes State Park, so it is easy to find. I plan on dragging the 4x5 camera back in the spring.

That was it for the day. A good afternoon out on a gorgeous January day.


Comments

Popular Posts