Portrait Project


Erin



Jalonie


Mike

I know I haven't been paying much attention to this lately, but hopefully that will change. The "real job" is finally slowing down a bit after an overly busy summer.

I've also been preparing for what I hope will turn out to be a long term project that will end up as an entry in next years Art Prize. A street portrait project. A project that lets me go out on the street and try to photograph people just walking by.

I had my first session last night and I got a few good photographs. I also had a lot of great conversations with people that let me take their photos and shook a lot of hands. A few people wouldn't even listen to me, I think they were expecting me to ask for money.

I also learned a lot. I need to have some backup equipment with me. My light stand tipped and while I didn't break the flash bulb, I bent the umbrella I was using. I also need a way to haul the equipment around. I also need to find a way to capture info while I'm talking to someone, probably a recorder or something. I've always had a problem with names, and I had one instance last night where I could remember the city she lived in, but not her name. Somewhat embarrassing. I'm also hoping I spelled the peoples name right.

Since I started somewhat late, I also had a problem getting a good focus on the peoples face. While a somewhat soft photo probably will not make much of a difference on the final project, I tend to be somewhat of a stickler for that.

I ended up with 19 portraits that I felt I could use. Converting them to square, black and white, and tagging them with the proper name and hometown, took a lot more time than I thought. Since I will need a lot more than that, I think I need to come up with a better way of doing it.

I'll continue to publish updates here as I go along, and hopefully I'll end up with a completed project by the middle of next year. At least completed enough to see a final product.

Later.

Comments

Popular Posts