Ethereal


I'm still, slowly, trying to get may alt process workflow calibrated at home.  While I primarily want to do Cyanotypes or Platinum/Palladium prints, there are other processes I would like to try.

One of those is Van Dyke Brown.  It produces a warm brown tone on the paper, and it's relatively easy to do.  A bit time consuming, because there are multiple washes of the paper in water, as well as fixer.

I'm participating in a class at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts that is doing Alt Process.  I worked on a VDB print and liked what I finally got.  I did scan it in Black and White mode, so you really can't see the true color of it.  There are a couple of things I would like to change.  This is a hand coated process, where you have to mix the chemistry and then coat the paper.  I think I spent too long coating and raised the nap of the paper a bit.  There are some white spots that lead me to believe this, and I want to get rid of them.  Second, it needs to be a little darker, which I hope is just a simple exposure change.

Besides this process, I want to try one of the original methods used called Salt Printing, as well as Gum Bichromate.  The gum process would give me a color image.  The few I've seen of these in person, I really like.


Comments

Popular Posts