Segue - RIP Dave Brubeck

     As far back as I can remember, I've always been a big music fan.  We always had the radio going in my house.  My folks had a B&W TV, with all of 3 local channels.  Since someone had to get up and change the channels, it usually stayed on whatever news show my father wanted to watch.  When he wasn't around, I always turned on the radio. 

     I can remember the radio being on a local radio station that played pop music.  I was happy with it at the time.  My parents didn't like it, for one.  :)  My peers also liked it.  But then as I grew older, I found different radio stations.  I moved on to, what at the time was, modern rock.  At the same time, I started playing saxophone in the school band.  So I was exposed to a lot of music growing up.  Rock, which had its roots in blues, classical and classical pops in school band.  We had a jazz band in high school, but I don't remember much actual jazz.  Maybe they weren't really a jazz band, they were most likely more like a pep band.

    I made it to college and while I didn't play the sax much, except for marching band, I did hang around the music building.  I knew a lot of people there, and I was comfortable with them.  I got introduced to jazz fusion, a lot of people liked Mahavishnu Orchestra at the time, and of course I was one of them.  It was sort of a mix of jazz and Jimi Hendrix.  I still follow a couple of the musicians in that band since they've broke up.

     It wasn't until my second year at college that I took a "Listening to Music" class.  We covered a lot of classical music, some of which I knew and some of which I didn't.  We then moved into Jazz and that's where I was introduced to 50's jazz and Dave Brubeck.  We heard both "Take 5" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and I fell in love with it.  I've been a big fan of his every since, though I never ended up going to any of his concerts.

     I won't have any more chances.  He passed away yesterday, 1 day shy of his 92nd birthday.  He will be missed.  A couple of songs to remind us what he was like, and for me to hear them one more time.





   

   
    

Comments

Popular Posts