Catching Up







     Just getting out of the annual winter blahs and thinking hard about what I want to do with my photography this year.   More on that in a little bit.

     I did finally end up out with the Midwest Large Format Asylum a couple of weeks ago for their March outing.  It was the first time I was able to find to to take a Saturday to get out with a camera.  Since the outing was in the middle of Illinois, I drove down Friday eve and came back Saturday.  It was great to get out with the camera again, and just spend a day photographing with a group of like minded individuals.  A great group.

     I've also been in two shows so far this year, with two more in the planning stages.  They are both groups shows though.  I need to get a body of work together and have a solo show.

     I've been exploring bookmaking and alternative processes some more.  I want to combine the two and do a small book of alternative prints.  A small number of copies as well, either one or two to start.  If this goes well, I would try a somewhat larger edition.  I also want to learn some more historic processes.  Wet plate photography for one, as well as photogravure for another.

     I always tell myself I want to get out and photograph some more.  Hopefully this year I will.

     Sit and think about my work.  I really don't spend a lot of time just going through my old work, and seeing how I've changed over the years.  I also need to start organizing my photos better, and pruning out the rejects.

     So here is the list, in no particular order.


  • Shoot more.  Preferably film, since it slows me down, but anything.
  • Learn more.  If you're not learning, you're dying.
  • Publish more.  Whether it is here, in a book or a show.  Get my work out where people can see it.
  • Get a real website.  I need someplace where people can see my work and buy it.
  • Enter more juried shows.  I've been entering the regional art competition every year, but I need to enter more. 

     As a side note, I will be giving my Night Photography talk at the Big Rapids Camera club this month, as well as a talk about Backups for Photographers at the Grand Rapids Camera Club.  If you're around, stop by and say hi.

That's it for now.  I hope spring gets here soon, and things are going well for you.  Thanks for reading!!




Comments

Anonymous said…
I suggest Weebly for your site. Good luck on your goals, I have some for this year as well with my poetry, hopefully I'll finish some of them!

Popular Posts